1980 XS850 Roadster

I snagged this beauty from a buddy of mine after a couple years of pestering :D

35k miles and well maintained. The Ebay shocks were too tall for my tastes, especially as heavy as these are. It also had a set of Keihins from a Triumph Adventurer. They bolt on, but the jetting was way too lean and was pretty unrideable.

alt text
alt text
alt text

I set out to slim up the lines right away and ordered a used seat from a Harley XL1200R/XL883R. I had to trim the seat pan a bit, and modify the front brakcet, but it wasn’t bad. I also removed the center section of the rear fender and moved the rear part forward.

alt text

It also had a Mac 3-1 that leaked terribly and I hated the sound. I snagged a nice Jardine slip-on setup and stock headpipes from a buddy in trade for the old shocks and the Mac.

alt text
alt text

I also fitted a Lucas tail lamp and smoked signals

alt text

Then after much more fiddling with the jetting, she was on the road!

alt text
alt text

Then came the brakes and forks! I added an SV650 master cylinder which helped with brake feel, but not with power. A buddy was looking for some design projects for his CNC class, so he designed and 3D printed some caliper adapters to hang some matching SV650 calipers. These were wrapped around of a pair of 320mm Ducati Monster Brembo rotors. (the rotors bolt right on).

alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text

Of course the added stopping power meant I needed to control the dive from the already undersprung front (even for my 140 lbs). I added a set of .80/kg Racetech springs and 15w fork oil.

alt text
alt text
alt text

Then came the clutch. It had begun slipping when rolling on hard at higher speed. I figured it would be a simple job, but man…what a pain.

alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text

And that’s about it for now! She rides like a champ and I can’t wait to rack up some road trip miles this summer.

Looks like your connection to YamahaXS.com was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.