Ben's 1976 XS750

0_1518999852747_20180219_110054-800x600.jpg

Making progress.

Almost ready to start!

Looking good. The tail came out great and it’s always a great feeling when you do the work yourself. Keep it up.

So now I finally found pics of those bullet signals - they look very nice - I think I will get those for my bike!

@valley
Yeah, the indicators look great

Converted petcock from vacuum to manual.
0_1526806072778_01-petcock.jpg

Seat painted and padded.
0_1526806133686_02-seat-padding.jpg

Tank painted.
0_1526806170715_05-paint.jpg

Gauge.
0_1526806201179_07-gauge-lights.jpg

Crank pin pushed in so trying to find TDC using dodgy method.
0_1526806226921_09-tdc.jpg

Running!, but only just.
Requires full choke and no throttle.
Video

Rearsets, the brake side hits on the kick starter so I’ll have to sort something out.
And the brake master cylinder is only temporary.
1_1526807110669_gear-rearset.jpeg
0_1526807110669_brake-rearset.jpeg

looks awesome! I like the single gauge setup, kind of wish I went that route, I did the dual small gauges and they work good, but I don’t think they look as nice.

0_1527083069865_064fcc52.JPG

1977 Yamaha XS750 2D Cafe Racer

@jdseibe
Yeah, I think it looks tidier but I’ll be wishing for a tacho at some point.

What front master cylinder do you have and how are they working for you? I’ve just ordered some that look very similar.

The bad idle was caused by wrong pilot jets and bad ignition timing, it’s running heaps better now!

First ride, just in the yard as the front brakes are missing.
Video

Curious how accurate the mini gauges are. I was told the ratios available aftermarket are close but not the same. This will give inaccurate readings. jdseibe, have you ever checked your against a GPS speedometer/app?

@valvesprung I still havent run it for long enough to see if its accurate

Frame stripped and painted.

0_1539297617486_01_frame stripped.jpg
0_1539297626799_02_frame primed.jpg
0_1539297632493_03_frame painted.jpg

New gauge bracket.

0_1539297667819_04_new gauge bracket.jpg

I rechecked compression after the first ride and cylinder one had none.
A valve leak down test revealed the exhaust valve was not closing.
Pulling the head showed the valve bent.
Decided to take the heads and cylinders to professionals to get full makeover.
Bored out to 826, heads surfaced, valves ground, valve seats ground, helicoils, new valve stem seals.
Compression improved from 90psi to 150.

0_1539297844441_05_heads repaired.jpg
0_1539297854069_06_cylinder and heads painted.jpg

Headspec did the work, very nice guys and great work.

Finding TDC because I lost my crank pin thing.

0_1539297978466_07_tdc found.jpg

Log in to reply

Looks like your connection to YamahaXS.com was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.