Tap and die is correct😁. You can read about the process at the below link. You tap the center hole so that you can thread a bolt to block that passage.
1980 XS750 Build Thread
Thanks I didn’t know about this particularity ! My xv500 already had that system with the “PRI” position that I’ve never understood, I even one ended out of gasoline after the reserve position failed me…maybe I should modify it the the two bikes.
I might get back to you when I get to do it, there is some vocabulary for which the author used abreviations I wouldn’t want to mess up my taps.
Pardon my lack of vocabulary in english…
Can omeone explain the following sentence from the link rendmoto gave me earlier :
“Get an 8mm Allen headed bolt in the drill (Hold the drill in a vice and use a file to machine it down) or lathe and turn the head down till it’s less than 10mm round. Make sure you put a taper on the inside edge as shown.”
I think I understand but I don’t want to mess up, problem is the guy who wrote used reeeaaal generic words :
- to drill means to “make a hole”, in this case it doesn’t make sense
- apparently a vice is what I would have called a clamp for example, it’s confusing since in french “une vis” which would be a screw
- a file to me is, well, a file but I get what it is in this context
- machine it down : welle I get it but poor choice of words
- “or lathe and turn the head down” : no idea
Basically you need to lathe the head of the bolt down to less than 10mm in order for it to fit down in the petcock
I made some good progress today. Replaced all bearings and brought the cases together. It’s getting there.
Been awhile since I posted. Lot of progress. Here are some pics of the seat hoop.